Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Under Valuing Yourself

Are you under valuing yourself?

I know that I am and I keep on doing it to myself. The next time that someone calls about a job and they ask how much you want raise it by 40%. If they don't choke, hang up or otherwise end the conversation right there. You have just given yourself a starting point. If they continue the conversation, as has happened to me twice recently, you are still low. In my case I found that the second time that this came up the person was a little hesitant and that was the key to letting me know that I'm dead on.

If you've had trouble with this in the past and you've accepted jobs later to find out that you've left money on the table try this out next time. Start applying for jobs that you don't want so that when they call you can use them as your measurement.

No comments: